Re: [css3-flexbox] in multipage multiline vertical flexbox, what does 1st page 2nd column contain?

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com> wrote:
> One more pagination question:
>
> Suppose we have flex items A, B, C, D, E, F, G in a vertical multiline
> flexbox, with a specified-height that fits 4 items vertically. Un-paginated,
> it looks like this:
>
>     A  E
>     B  F
>     C  G
>
> Now, if we paginate this into pages tall enough for 2 items, which of the
> following should we expect?
>
> (1)  A  C
>     B  D
>     ----
>     E  G
>
> ...or...
>
> (2)  A  E
>     B  F
>     -----
>     C  G
>
> In other words, should the first page's second column contain (1) C & D or
> (2) E & F?
>
> I think (1) is correct, since that's what I'd expect with text and IIRC
> multiline flexbox is supposed to behave like text, roughly.  I thought it
> was worth clarifying, though, because I don't think the pagination spec-text
> makes the answer to this question clear yet.

Based on what fantasai told me of her and Alex's discussion (I wasn't
there for it ^_^), yes, (1) is correct.  First, linebreak based on
available space on the page, then continue with fresh lines on the

The only weird bit comes if, for example, A is taller than the
remaining space on the page.  It'll still get taken for the first
line, but it'll overflow to the next page as well.  The solution that
fantasai outlined was that the set of lines on the next page would
start just below where A ended, in essence making the first set of
lines as long as A (though still doing linebreaking for the second
line on the first page based on the "normal" length).