Re: [css3-values] RE: CSSStyleDeclaration#length and shorthands.

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 1:27 PM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Alexis Menard <alexis.menard@openbossa.org>
> wrote:
>> To me, a shorthand is a shortcut to set the longhands, it was made for
>> that, to avoid verbose CSS and also improves speed (faster parsing and
>> so on) and memory usage. It's *convenience*.
>>
>> I don't think they should be represented in the OM, they are not real
>> properties of an object : the bottom-top-color, bottom-left-color, ...
>> are real property of my border. In a similar example, a square has
>> left side, a right side, a bottom side and a top side (very abstract
>> here) but has no such "sides" characteristic.
>

> if we allow longhand properties to be queried or set using their shorthand
> form via getPropertyValue/setValue, then shorthands probably should be
> enumerated by item();
>
> there is also the issue of what happens when a current longhand is
> re-designated in the future as a shorthand, and then subdivided into a new
> set of longhands

Glenn and Brian have this right.  Properties that are currently
longhands *will* become shorthands in the future.  This has already
happened, and it will continue to happen, as we provide more options
for certain properties.

Ideally, we can spec things in a web-compatible way so that all
shorthands act similarly to longhands (modulo the fact that they'll
sometimes not exist because the longhands were set in a way that can't
be represented in the shorthand).  At worst, legacy shorthands will
have a crazy behavior, but we should establish a behavior going
forward for all new shorthands that is compatible with the
longhand->shorthand transition.