Re: [css3-values] RE: CSSStyleDeclaration#length and shorthands.

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 14:27:25 -0700
To: Alexis Menard <alexis.menard@openbossa.org>
Cc: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>, www-style@w3.org
On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Alexis Menard
<alexis.menard@openbossa.org>wrote:

> To me, a shorthand is a shortcut to set the longhands, it was made for
> that, to avoid verbose CSS and also improves speed (faster parsing and
> so on) and memory usage. It's *convenience*.
>
> I don't think they should be represented in the OM, they are not real
> properties of an object : the bottom-top-color, bottom-left-color, ...
> are real property of my border. In a similar example, a square has
> left side, a right side, a bottom side and a top side (very abstract
> here) but has no such "sides" characteristic.

if we allow longhand properties to be queried or set using their shorthand
form via getPropertyValue/setValue, then shorthands probably should be
enumerated by item();

there is also the issue of what happens when a current longhand is
re-designated in the future as a shorthand, and then subdivided into a new
set of longhands