Re: [css3-content] typo: «» became +;

From: Oli Studholme <w3-style@boblet.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 16:56:58 +0900
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
Hi all,

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Oli Studholme wrote:
> Finally, I think the example selectors could be improved
>    :lang(no) > q {…}
>    :lang(fr) > * {…}
> The lang attribute is inherited so the child selector is irrelevant,
> and (correct me if I’m wrong) the quotes property is currently only
> used on the <q> element. As the * selector is very expensive as the
> rightmost selector, it would be best not to use it as an example of
> recommended CSS practice. Why not just:
>    :lang(no) {…}
>    :lang(fr) {…}
> or
>    q:lang(no) {…}
>    q:lang(fr) {…}
> ?

Sorry, I should have read:
“Note. If a quotation is in a different language than the surrounding
text, it is customary to quote the text with the quote marks of the
language of the surrounding text, not the language of the quotation
— http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-content/#inserting-quotes-with-the-content-proper

However we could still change this:
    :lang(fr) > * {…}
to this:
    :lang(fr) > q {…}
to avoid using the star selector. Is there are reason not to?

Also, I expected that quotation depth increment would be
language-specific, but it isn’t. I can’t find any typographic
references discussing this. So, should this quotation typographically
    Then she said “En Japonais je dirais « 猫は「にゃん」と言う »”.
    Then she said “En Japonais je dirais ‹猫は『にゃん』と言う ›”.

I expected the former, but CSS quotation depth incrementation gives
the latter. Does anyone know if one is more correct than the other?

peace - oli studholme