Re: Unicode normalization in CSS

Le 21/06/11 07:47, "Martin J. Dürst" a écrit :

>>> Normalization of stylesheets and other documents may not make sense,
>
> Normalization of stylesheets, or more correctly normalization of
> stylesheets and the Web pages where they get used (to take care of class
> and id values that appear in selectors), makes quite a bit of sense.

Class and id ? what about element names in XML ? what about attribute
name and values ? what about the following selectors where the type
element selector matches elements with name komets-alef

   אָ[ref="çà"]   (selector/element name is U+05D0 U+05B8)

and

   אָ[ref="çà"]   (selector/element name is U+FB2F)

Let's be clear: *everything* in markup languages, DOM, CSS,
transformation languages and more has to be normalized at some
point to allow direct comparisons.

That's what I don't understand why this normalization issue is
hitting CSS only at this time. The issue is so broad that it has
to be discussed at W3C-wide level. I recommend a note/spec/TAG decision/
whatever is made and that RECs released **after that document** have to
deal with normalization. If CSS is the only one to implement
normalization, that's almost useless. So no need to block *us only*.

</Daniel>