RE: [css3-speech] reading list-style markers

From: Belov, Charles <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 10:43:00 -0700
To: "fantasai" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>
fantasai wrote on Wednesday, June 01, 2011 6:26 PM

> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-speech/#lists
>
> # disc, circle, square
> #   These list item styles are spoken as the equivalent word for
> #   the shape, in the user's language.
>
> Reading out "square" in front of each list item seems imho ridiculous.
> These should map to a UA-defined (or user-defined) phrase or
> aural icon that is appropriate for bulleted lists.

Actually, the issue to me is whether screen readers are helping the
listener keep track of the levels of bullets.  That is, whether the
list is showing bullets, circles or squares depends on whether this
is a nested list.  For a list like:

[bullet] Cats.
[bullet] Dogs.
	[circle] Lab.
	[circle] Chihuahua.
[bullet] Birds.

I believe the most useful output would be something that indicates
the transition between levels, e.g.,

"Begin bulleted list. Item, cats. Item, dogs.  Begin second level.
Item, Lab. Item, Chihuahua. End second level. Item, birds."

Not sure that is the most usable example, but that would be a
non-ridiculous alternative to reading "bullet," "circle," "square".
I suggest something like "Begin second level" rather than "Within
dogs" because "dogs" is short but, again for example, "In-Person
Customer Service Centers: These centers provide direct issuance
of fare cards." is not.

Hope this helps,
Charles Belov
SFMTA Webmaster