Re: CSS Hierarchies / Selector Nesting Proposal

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 12:16:34 -0700
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
On Jun 2, 2011, at 9:09 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> On 6/2/11 11:48 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:
>> OK, I see the issue now. By inserting the ampersand token, you are being more explicit with regard to space handing.
>
> Yeah, the use of ' ' as a combinator is sort of killing us here.  :(
>
>> If the use case for each of those two examples is equally strong
>
> I think that the use cases for the "#foo.bar" and "#foo .bar" selectors are equally strong, yeah.  They're both pretty commonly used.  For ":hover" instead of ".bar" the use case for the descendant combinator is less strong, but I don't think we should have different parsing rules for ":hover" and ".bar" here.

I meant in terms of embedding one ruleset inside another, are the organizational benefits the same for pseudo-class selectors as for defendant selectors? Or would the tradeoff of not embedding the pseudo-class rule inside another rule be worth it in order to not have to write as many ampersands, as you could still write the pseudo-class rules normally and be reasonably organized with a net gain overall. I'm more or less playing devil's advocate here, as I suspect the answer is "no".