Re: [css3-speech] ISSUE-153 speak: none; usage incompatible with other values of speak

From: Mark Kenny <beingmrkenny@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 12:24:12 +0000
To: Daniel Weck <daniel.weck@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Charles Belov <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com>

> speak:none is not needed, authors can use display:none instead. Personally
> I think it makes a lot more sense to reuse existing CSS features, especially
> when the resulting authoring practice matches accessibility guidelines (e.g.
> a non-displayed visual element gets ignored by a speech processor, and any
> visible graphical element gets spoken-out). Is there really a compelling
> reason to keep speak:none ? I can't think of any. Regards, Daniel

It would be useful where you want to present something to visual browsers
but hide it from audio browsers.

For example if you had a page with instructions on how to download
something: most visual browsers have similar functionality, but I would
imagine audio browsers are different and would need separate instructions,
therefore the visual ones would be irrelevant.

Not a particularly brilliant example perhaps, but it's at least a real-world
one. Personally I think it could be a more useful feature in the future,
especially since HTML and CSS are being used more and more for multi-media
applications where flash is used currently. Can you see a use for
speak:none; in a game for example?

My other objection to removing it is semantic. "Display" doesn't sound like
an auditory property. I suppose here we could get into all kinds of mess
with something like "render:none;" for both, but maybe that's too far...

Cheers,

Mark