Re: [css3-speech] ISSUE-153 speak: none; usage incompatible with other values of speak

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 22:05:23 -0800
To: Mark Kenny <beingmrkenny@gmail.com>
CC: Daniel Weck <daniel.weck@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org, Charles Belov <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com>
On 01/22/2011 04:24 AM, Mark Kenny wrote:

> It would be useful where you want to present something to visual browsers but hide it from audio browsers.
> My other objection to removing it is semantic. "Display" doesn't sound like an auditory property.

Maybe something like

speakability: auto | none | normal
inherits: yes
initial: auto

auto - Computes to 'none' when 'display' is 'none'.
        A computed value of 'auto' yields a used value of 'none'.
none - The element is not rendered aurally. (It's pauses, cues, rests,
        and content are not rendered.)
normal - The element is rendered aurally.

That would hook into "display: none" rules when wanted, but allow
other interpretations as wanted.

(I can't say I've fully thought this through, however.)

~fantasai