Re: Some grid troubles

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Alexander Shpack <shadowkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2.
>
> Next trouble you can read here:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-css3-grid-20070905/#example0
> What happened, if I add another picture?

That's underdefined.  The float-offset property is defined in the GCPM
module, but it doesn't specify this in enough detail to tell what
should happen when floats would overlap due to float-offset.

> What I need to do, if I wish to separate another picture from first
> one? The correct answer is bad. I must change the grid declaration,
> and must control the count of elements, because any other element may
> destroy this layout. If content is static, everything should be ok,
> but, if content may be changed by users, this users must be very
> skilled in design. They should thinking like grid-monsters. Today,
> content editor may insert image into text and control it position by
> this way, with grids they should insert new grid and set up image
> floating and offset. Too complicated.

I agree that this is suboptimal.  I think that this example isn't a
good use-case for page floats.  Instead, it should be absolutely
positioned with grid units, and use some hypothetical 'intrusion'
property to force text out from below it.

Then, additional photos could also be placed on the page, intruding as
well, and their position won't change with content changing.