Re: Proposal for CSS3.5

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 15:30:03 -0700
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Alexander Shpack <shadowkin@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 3, 2010, at 11:43 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>>> .oneClass { background-image: url(one.png), url(two.png), url(three.png); }
>>> .twoClass { background-image[1]: url(other.png); }
>>
>> I think this makes a lot of sense, but the use of brackets in a property name
>> is inconsistent with the core grammar...

Right, it's just thrown out there as an idea.  We'd have to find
something we can do within the core grammar here.

> And you also have the "zeroeth" issue that is more familiar to programmers and JavaScripters than to general CSS authors.

Right, 1-numbering is probably better, and is more consistent with
current usage.  (The one place in CSS where you reference elements of
a list by number is :nth-child and friends, where the first element
has the index 1.)