Re: [CSS21] [css3-lists] list-style-position: inside

On 06/04/2010 08:29 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 7:58 PM, Boris Zbarsky<bzbarsky@mit.edu>  wrote:
>> On 6/3/10 5:15 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>>>
>>> This behavior is clarified in CSS3 Lists - the Opera/webkit behavior is
>>> correct.
>>
>> Are we talking about
>> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-lists-20021107/#marker>  or something
>> else?  Per http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-lists-20021107//#marker as far
>> as I can tell the Opera/webkit behavior is wrong.
>>
>> If I'm looking at the wrong spec, which one should I be looking at?  If not,
>> then how did you reach your conclusion?
>
> Whoops, you're right.  I was thinking about outside markers, where the
> text of the innermost li is the "first line" of all three nested<li>s
> and thus is used for alignment.  But inside markers don't do that -
> they just act like inline children, similar to a ::before - and so the
> Firefox behavior is correct per CSS3 Lists, at least.

Looking more closely at the CSS2.1 spec, it seems pretty clear, although
its interaction with :before is not defined.

Proposed to replace:
   # The marker box is the first inline box in the principal block box,
   # after which the element's content flows.
with
   | The marker box is placed as the first inline box in the principal
   | block box, before the element's content and before any :before
   | pseudo-elements.

Marking editorial.

~fantasai