Re: [CSS21] [css3-lists] list-style-position: inside

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 08:29:10 -0700
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 7:58 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

>> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 12:04 PM, fantasai<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been reviewing hixie's testcases, and came across this one
>>>
>>>  http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/css/box/list/list-style-position/inside/001-demo.html
>>>
>>> The behavior expected there does not seem to be specified by the CSS2.1
>>> spec.
>>> However it *is* implemented in Opera and Konqueror. (Firefox does
>>> something
>>> different.)
>>>
>>> I'm wondering
>>>  a) What other implementations do
>>>  b) Whether we should clarify the spec one way or another
>>
>> Chrome acts like Konquerer and Opera (not surprising, since K and C
>> are both webkit-based).
>>
>> IE8 does something obviously retarded, and so can't be used as any
>> sort of example.
>>
>> This behavior is clarified in CSS3 Lists - the Opera/webkit behavior is
>> correct.
>
> Are we talking about
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-lists-20021107/#marker> or something
> else?  Per http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-lists-20021107//#marker as far
> as I can tell the Opera/webkit behavior is wrong.
>
> If I'm looking at the wrong spec, which one should I be looking at?  If not,
> then how did you reach your conclusion?

Whoops, you're right.  I was thinking about outside markers, where the
text of the innermost li is the "first line" of all three nested <li>s
and thus is used for alignment.  But inside markers don't do that -
they just act like inline children, similar to a ::before - and so the
Firefox behavior is correct per CSS3 Lists, at least.

~TJ