Re: Making pt a non-physical unit

From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 11:15:16 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
On 2010/01/06 16:54 (GMT-0500) Ambrose LI composed:

> 2010/1/6 Felix Miata wrote:

>> There should have been and be some mechanism that prevents attempts to render
>> fonts in sizes that can't get the job done. That might mean either resorting
>> to bitmaps or some nearest neighbor type mechanism to translate an em or %
>> request for a (CJK) font into a size that can work for the viewer.

>> That some CJK fonts only work right at certain sizes not an excuse to use px
>> for sizing before such time as all users can set the size of a px to meet
>> their legibility and usability requirements.

> You are missing the point. The fact that CJK fonts *used to* only work
> at certain sizes is *precisely* because they were bitmaps. Therefore
> if you are proposing using bitmaps to fudge things, then you *must*
> allow px sizes.

I used the word "bitmap" only as example of doing whatever is necessary, and
was in no way suggesting doing anything that necessitates allowing authors to
size in px.
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious
people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any
other."                      John Adams, 2nd US President

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/