Re: Making pt a non-physical unit

From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 11:15:16 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
On 2010/01/06 16:54 (GMT-0500) Ambrose LI composed:

> 2010/1/6 Felix Miata wrote:

>> There should have been and be some mechanism that prevents attempts to render
>> fonts in sizes that can't get the job done. That might mean either resorting
>> to bitmaps or some nearest neighbor type mechanism to translate an em or %
>> request for a (CJK) font into a size that can work for the viewer.

>> That some CJK fonts only work right at certain sizes not an excuse to use px
>> for sizing before such time as all users can set the size of a px to meet
>> their legibility and usability requirements.

> You are missing the point. The fact that CJK fonts *used to* only work
> at certain sizes is *precisely* because they were bitmaps. Therefore
> if you are proposing using bitmaps to fudge things, then you *must*
> allow px sizes.

I used the word "bitmap" only as example of doing whatever is necessary, and
was in no way suggesting doing anything that necessitates allowing authors to
size in px.
--
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious
people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/