Re: [css3-fonts] font descriptor default values

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 1:41 AM, Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
>> I'm also curious, what field you use to define "family" in this
>> context? (Some platforms/APIs may consider, say, "Arial Black Italic"
>> part of the "Arial" family, and others might consider it part of the
>> "Arial Black" family....)
>
> What field in the font? That's up to the platform. If the user says:
>
>    font: italic 12pt Arial Black
>
> then the font-family is "Arial Black", but if they say:
>
>    font: 900 italic 12pt Arial
>
> then the font-family is "Arial", and "Arial Black" may not be chosen if it
> is considered a completely different font-family by the platform.
>
> I don't consider this a problem, personally, and it hasn't come up as an
> issue thus far. However, I would make a call to the typographers in the
> audience to group related fonts under a single family if possible :)

I beg to differ, it certainly *has* come up as an issue for
application developers. They've assumed that they have to live with
the existing mess.

If the notion of "family" is platform-defined means that CSS font
definitions based on family+style are inherently not cross-platform
for any family more sophisticated than four members, and trying to
deal with such families is likely to lead to frustration. Only because
the available/usable fonts have been so restricted has it not surfaced
as a "real" issue.

Because of this, my conclusion has always been that CSS was
fundamentally broken as far as font selection is concerned.

Regards,