Re: [css3-fonts] font descriptor default values

From: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 20:41:55 +1100
To: Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>
CC: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>
Hi Thomas,

> I'm also curious, what field you use to define "family" in this
> context? (Some platforms/APIs may consider, say, "Arial Black Italic"
> part of the "Arial" family, and others might consider it part of the
> "Arial Black" family....)

What field in the font? That's up to the platform. If the user says:

     font: italic 12pt Arial Black

then the font-family is "Arial Black", but if they say:

     font: 900 italic 12pt Arial

then the font-family is "Arial", and "Arial Black" may not be chosen if
it is considered a completely different font-family by the platform.

I don't consider this a problem, personally, and it hasn't come up as an
issue thus far. However, I would make a call to the typographers in the
audience to group related fonts under a single family if possible :)

Cheers,

Michael

--
Print XML with Prince!