Re: [css3-fonts] font descriptor default values

From: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 20:47:35 +1100
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
CC: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
Hi John,

> The current draft requires support for looking up individual faces via
> the fullname with Postscript name look optional for those platforms that
> support it.  As Thomas Phinney and others pointed out, the fullname for
> .otf fonts is different across platforms, it's equivalent to the
> Postscript name under Windows but takes the family + style name form
> under Mac OS X (although FontBook actually shows the Postscript name as
> the fullname instead of the fullname in the underlying font data!).

I have to say that I don't like this at all :)

Is the use case for this feature that someone might want to map to a
font with different attributes? For example, they might want to do this:

@font-face {
     font-family: MySansSerif;
     font-weight: normal;
     font-style: normal;
     src: local("Helvetica-Bold")
}

and thus map normal MySansSerif to bold Helvetica? Prince can't do this,
but no one has ever asked for it either.

Best regards,

Michael

--
Print XML with Prince!