Re: [css3-fonts] font descriptor default values

From: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:15:33 +1100
To: Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>
CC: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>
Hi Thomas,

> Because of this, my conclusion has always been that CSS was
> fundamentally broken as far as font selection is concerned.

Isn't this an issue that can be solved by font authors and platform
developers?

If someone makes a new font called "Vulgaris Neue" with several weights
and in condensed and expanded versions they should have no problem
keeping all these faces within the same family if they so choose.

On the other hand, if someone puts every face in a different family,
it's not clear why CSS should be responsible for doing the heavy lifting
to try and straighten everything out.

Cheers,

Michael

--