Re: Re[2]: css with attribues [off-topic]

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 12:10:15 +0000
To: CSS Style <www-style@w3.org>

On 24 Jan 2008, at 10:15, Dmitry Turin wrote:
>>> I am fairly sure that the web designers of the time would have been
>>> happy or even happier with just having more and more presentational
>>> attributes piled onto HTML.

> BK> As someone who typically hand-codes pages, I find such pages
> BK> reprehensible and extremely difficult to edit.

> Excuse me, for what are you editing these pages ?

The usual case is: "Bob worked for Corporation. Bob wrote pages with
presentational gubbins littered through the HTML. Bob left
Corporation. I joined Corporation. I have to work on updating the
site created by Bob."

> BK>  I for ... eventual elimination of tag soup (we can hope).
> Now next elimination of tag soup is harmfull
> (because inconvenience for hand-coding)

So use tools which highlight or automatically correct errors.

> like current political correctness
> (when it's impossible to name things by their names).

Using names for things which some people might find offensive, and
writing code for a machine to process which has errors in it are two
things that are so far apart in concept, that comparing them is

David Dorward