From: Maciej Stachowiak [mailto:mjs@apple.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 2:59 PM
To: Paul Nelson (ATC)
Cc: Håkon Wium Lie; www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: WebFonts ready for use

Hi Paul,

On Apr 21, 2008, at 4:39 PM, Paul Nelson (ATC) wrote:

> Based on discussions with font developers who are up to speed on the
> technology, they view this as a threat that they intend to treat
> like any other public posting of their IP to the Web. So they will
> deal with each occurrence the old fashioned way with cease and
> desist notices. A few non-traditional font makers see the
> possibility of a "market" for Web fonts, but no one really has any
> concrete ideas on a business model.
>
> The main concern voiced is "casual piracy" where the average person
> simply uses or has fonts installed by web pages without realizing
> that the UA was just being "helpful".

As far as I know, none of the UAs that Håkon mentioned will allow
"install" fonts fonts for use beyond the web page. Safari/WebKit in
particular activates the font in-memory and only makes it available to
the page referencing it via CSS. Nothing is installed on the system in
a permanent way, so no possibility of "casual piracy" by end users is
created. I hope you will correct this apparent misunderstanding among
font developers.

Regards,
Maciej