Re: [css3-namespace] Empty String Namespaces

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:40:23 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org

Proposed changes:

Change #1: Append to section 3.1: Syntax

   | All strings—including the empty string and strings representing
   | invalid URIs—are valid namespace names in @namespace declarations.

   to clarify that the empty string is a valid namespace name.

Change #2: Add to section 3.3: Declaring prefixes

   | Where the empty string is not recognized as a possible namespace,
   | local names associated with an empty string default namespace
   | must be interpreted as being associated with no namespace.

   to define what the empty string means as a default namespace.

Change #3: Replace in section 4: CSS Qualified Names

   | In a CSS qualified name, a prefix that is declared to represent the
   | empty string namespace ("") is interpreted as representing no namespace.

   | When a CSS qualified name is used in a context (such as Selectors
   | [[SELECT]]) that does not recognize association with the empty
   | string namespace and lack of a namespace as two distinct, valid
   | possibilities, prefixes representing the empty string namespace
   | and no namespace must be treated as equivalent.
   | For example, given the namespace declarations:
   | @namespace empty "";
   | @namespace "";
   | The type selectors elem, |elem, and empty|elem are equivalent.

If there are no objections, these changes should close all remaining
(known) issues in the CSS Namespaces module and we can prepare for CR.