Re: CSS Generated content selection

From: Kornel Lesinski <kornel@osiolki.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 21:44:14 +0100
To: Spartanicus <mk98762@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 08:23:14 +0100, Spartanicus <mk98762@gmail.com> wrote:

> But IMO the behaviour should be specified as a MUST NOT.

I disagree. Because <q> crosses barrier between content and presentation,
copying of GC quotes is neccessary to preserve meaning of text, even when
other formatting can be discarded. Probably the same thing can be said
about GC counters.

> A UA must not facilitate abuse of the generated content method.

It can be abused whether it can be copied or not. Often authors don't care
if their content copies well, so it would not stop them from abusing GC.
Some might even be encouraged by "copy-protection" it would provide.

Of course documents should make sense when CSS is not available, but I
think it would be counter-productive to fobrid UAs from making best use of
CSS when they can.

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński