Re: CSS Generated content selection

From: Spartanicus <mk98762@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 01:11:58 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

"Kornel Lesinski" <kornel@osiolki.net> wrote:

>> But IMO the behaviour should be specified as a MUST NOT.
>
>I disagree. Because <q> crosses barrier between content and presentation,

FWIW I consider the HTML spec requirement that a browser should generate
quotation marks around content marked up with the <q> element as a
flawed concept. Quotation marks for inline quotes are punctuation marks
like commas, full stops etc. and should be part of the content proper,
not generated by the browser.

>copying of GC quotes is neccessary to preserve meaning of text, even when
>other formatting can be discarded. Probably the same thing can be said
>about GC counters.

IMO if for example the numbering of items in a list is more than mere
presentation they should /also/ be made part of the content proper. IMO
the generated prefix to list items is mere presentation on par with a
border specified on a paragraph.

>> A UA must not facilitate abuse of the generated content method.
>
>It can be abused whether it can be copied or not.

Obviously, but it should be discouraged, specification rules play a part
in that.

>Some might even be encouraged by "copy-protection" it would provide.

As stated, CSS can be abused no matter what.

--
Spartanicus