Re: CSS color palettes

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 07:11:43 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-style@w3.org

> I don't want to be tedious, but if it has been requested many times it
> may mean that it could be useful, don't you think?
> :-)

Many things are asked for multiple times but are rejected because they
are not a good idea when you consider the whole picture.

What's been asked for here is not palette's but macro processor type
variables.  I can't remember all of the problems with this but I seem
to remember that the main counter arguments are that:

1) it can be implemented purely server side by running a macro
   processor on the server or in the authoring tool set;

2) a similar effect can be achieved by grouping together selectors with
   the same property value, and for documents with rational styling, this
   will indicate the styling logic much better than a client side variable.