> E.class {
>   color: accent1;
>   background-color: accent4;
> }
>
> E#id {
>  color: accent2;
>  background-color: accent3;
> }
>
> to create color constants where you could define what accent1,
> accent2, ... are. This has been requested many times already and each
> time rejected.
I don't want to be tedious, but if it has been requested many times it
may mean that it could be useful, don't you think?
:-)
Anyway, I see it not only as color constants, but as a color layer. Why
shouldn't color cascade in the same way that styles does?

> The preferred approach is as follows. At the end of your document or
> in a colors.css you put rules like the following:
>
> div.header, span.highlighted, #keywords {
>    color: #800; /* accent 1 */
> }
>
> div.header, span.highlighted {
>    background-color: #004; /* accent 3 */
> }
>
> #keywords, #footer {
>    background-color: #006; /* accent 4 */
> }
>
> You basically declare everything that shares a foreground color and
> everything that shares a background color and make a rule for each
> grouping that shares a color. It's not as elegant as a palette, but it
> works with the current system mostly.
I know the workarounds. CSS is my meat and potatoes. I'm not proposing
this because it would be easier for me (I frankly don't care to write a
couple lines more), I'm proposing this because I think it will be more
efficient, simple and elegant. With all the implementations of the CSS
standards in the different browsers, CSS files are full of "hacks", it
has became a tour-de-force for designers. I'd like to see a simpler way
to create web pages. Just that.
Sorry for being so annoying.
Regards.

Damian