Re: :loading :loaded :missing :corrupt

David Woolley wrote:

>>Maybe this exists or was discussed but I missed it. Excuse me if so.
>>Pseudo-class selectors I wish were available are for images relate to
>>their status in loading, so maybe a remote image could be hidden when
>>the network becomes isolated, etc.
>>

>These are almost all only really useful for user style sheets, for which
>it is not essential to define an over the wire format.

The scenario that led up to this suggestion is a web authoring program
inserts its logo at the bottom of the page, but when that site is down,
the logo missing makes my page ugly and it's not my fault. I could
dynamically handle it, as I've done in the past, with visibility:hidden
and onload event changing it to visible, but as people abuse the web to
use it for secure transactions instead of open information distribution,
and as that leads to fear of any executable code because some code
compromises security of such systems, browsers often disable JavaScript
by default or at least make annoying steps that the visitor has to go
through in order to make such a simple effect happen.  In another
scenario, we mirror some content behind a firewall, and it is useful to
determine whether we're inside or outside (by the existance or not of a
particular file with a relative URL)

So I would disagree.

>>Distinct states that would be useful to recognize include:

>The style sheet itself could be loading, so one can't really rely on
>anything except the default (out of line style sheets are generally
>considered desirable).

See above scenario.

>>:missing,
>>:corrupt

See above scenario. I don't maintain the image, but I need to reference it.

>These two should not occur in a properly maintained site.
>
>I think you are also missing two cases:
>
>- blocked by policy (e.g. same origin policy);
>
>- images turned off globally.

Those would be fine as well, though in practice a method to
differentiate between something being successfully loaded and not
successfully loaded is the primary concern. Although one could use
proprietary pseudo-classes, I try to avoid them myself.

_-Ted