Re: CSS 3 color module and deprecation of "system" colors

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 16:58:42 +0200
To: "Patrick H. Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

On Saturday, September 3, 2005, 4:42:53 PM, Patrick wrote:

PHL> Apologies for cross posting, but: could anybody shed some light as to
PHL> why system colors have been deprecated in the CSS 3 color module?

PHL> http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/CR-css3-color-20030514/#css-system

PHL> In my recent testing on Windows browsers, I found them to be fairly well
PHL> supported

Yes (like the X11 colors which are also well supported in HTML browsers,
now termed the 'SVG colors' in CSS3 color module) they are well
supported in practice.

PHL>  and would posit that they can have quite a valuable role to
PHL> play in creating accessible style sheets that match the user's set
PHL> colour scheme / preferences (e.g. if a user has set their Windows
PHL> environment to High Contrast, a web page can be styled to follow that
PHL> preference).

Yes, correct. Its not just on Windows, either.

Thinking about tests in a test suite, what would the pass criteria be?

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG