CSS 3 color module and deprecation of "system" colors

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 15:42:53 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

Apologies for cross posting, but: could anybody shed some light as to
why system colors have been deprecated in the CSS 3 color module?

http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/CR-css3-color-20030514/#css-system

In my recent testing on Windows browsers, I found them to be fairly well
supported and would posit that they can have quite a valuable role to
play in creating accessible style sheets that match the user's set
colour scheme / preferences (e.g. if a user has set their Windows
environment to High Contrast, a web page can be styled to follow that
preference).

Cheers,

Patrick
--