Re: CSS 3 color module and deprecation of "system" colors

From: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 12:32:10 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

On 9/5/05, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:

> On Saturday, September 3, 2005, 4:42:53 PM, Patrick wrote:
>
> PHL> Apologies for cross posting, but: could anybody shed some light as to
> PHL> why system colors have been deprecated in the CSS 3 color module?
>
> PHL> http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/CR-css3-color-20030514/#css-system
>
> PHL> In my recent testing on Windows browsers, I found them to be fairly well
> PHL> supported
>
> Yes (like the X11 colors which are also well supported in HTML browsers,
> now termed the 'SVG colors' in CSS3 color module) they are well
> supported in practice.
>
> PHL>  and would posit that they can have quite a valuable role to
> PHL> play in creating accessible style sheets that match the user's set
> PHL> colour scheme / preferences (e.g. if a user has set their Windows
> PHL> environment to High Contrast, a web page can be styled to follow that
> PHL> preference).
>
> Yes, correct. Its not just on Windows, either.
>
> Thinking about tests in a test suite, what would the pass criteria be?

That's not a problem with the concept of system colors, nor should it
be. Not all things can be tested against a static image, especially
things based on the operating system or UA preferences.

How would one test the values sans-serif or serif for font? The answer
is while you can provide examples a single image will not work.

--

Orion Adrian