Re: [css3-values] New WD for Values & Units

Boris Zbarsky:
> Christoph Päper wrote:
>> Actually I think it would have been a valid option to make 'px' the
>> device's pixel, like many people assume anyway
>
> So when I print a 100px wide image on my 1200dpi laser printer, it would
> come out about 2mm wide?

Sure, if one of its dots makes one pixel.

I didn't say it was a particular good idea to use 'px' for any media but
'screen', likewise it's not always sensible to use metre-based units
(incl. 'in' and 'pt'). I just said it had not been a good idea to define
the pixel differently than common expectation and true angular
measurement would have been better, though unusual. I don't expect the
definition of 'px' to (substantially) change anymore, but 'deg' etc.
could still be introduced for lengths.

> Just keep in mind that CSS has to work with devices whose actual pixel
> is a very very different size from the typical 1/96 of an inch (...)

That's totally what I had in mind.