Re: [css3-values] attr() function

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:17:40 +0000 (UTC)
To: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Orion Adrian wrote:

> > Short of a full scripting solution, what would you suggest?
>
> Given the current model that CSS uses there isn't a solution that I can
> find. It would require some sort of extension mechanism while allowing
> for conversion functions. UA's would have to allow for plugins to
> support certain languages.

For interoperability's sake, it seems like you'd want to avoid plugins.
The idea is that you send a standard markup language over the wire, and
that anyone with an appopriate UA can view it. Thus, it would seem that if
a language had specific needs, one could jus specify the conversion
operator, and any UAs for that language would implement that operator.

No?