Re: [css3-values] attr() function

From: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 15:13:15 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

> > I think it's unreasonable to think that languages will always use the
> > CSS color syntax. There will always need to be some sort of conversion
> > function. With HTML4, it's fairly simple, but even so, there's no
> > conversion function even for something as simple as putting a # in
> > front.
>
> Short of a full scripting solution, what would you suggest?

Given the current model that CSS uses there isn't a solution that I
can find. It would require some sort of extension mechanism while
allowing for conversion functions. UA's would have to allow for
plugins to support certain languages. Something like:

color: language-specific-function(attr(color));

Where the "language-specific-function would convert the language's
native values over the CSS color module values.

--

Orion Adrian