Re: [CSS21] Features at risk: quote in CSS or Q in HTML

Karl Dubost wrote:

> I slightly agree with you except that you misunderstood me.
> I still have _hope_ that quotation marks be implemented in User
> Agents for HTML 4.01, by HTML 4.01 or CSS.
>
> I'm just saying that dropping the CSS feature seems to me dangerous
> because it has been shown that it was “difficult” to implement on the
> HTML side.
>
> Then I was wondering if the CSS property would make it easier by not
> having a table of all cases, and leaving the freedom to author to
> specify the right characters.

But are they really necessary anyway? Can’t you already do the same
thing with:

q:lang(fr):before { content: "«"; }
q:lang(fr):after { content: "»"; }
q q:lang(fr):before { content: "‹"; }
q q:lang(fr):after { content: "›"; }

etc. (and possibly repeat that to allow for up to 4 levels of q nesting)?

If that is possible already, why would a user agent author bother to
create another mechanism specifically for quotes, while Q is barely used
in HTML anyway (though that may be only due to inconsistent browser
handling)?

~Grauw