Re: [CSS21] Features at risk: quote in CSS or Q in HTML

Le 05-07-13 à 15:25, Ian Hickson a écrit :
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Karl Dubost wrote:
>> Maybe a coordination between the two Working Group is necessary. If
>> quote is dropped, I fear that Q becomes de facto obsolete in HTML
>> 4.01
>> for its rendering part (not the semantic one).
>
> You have cause and effect reversed. We would only drop the value if it
> wasn't implemented (that is, if Q had already become "de facto
> obsolete in
> HTML 4.01 for its rendering part"). Thus dropping it couldn't cause
> that
> to happen.

I slightly agree with you except that you misunderstood me.
I still have _hope_ that quotation marks be implemented in User
Agents for HTML 4.01, by HTML 4.01 or CSS.

I'm just saying that dropping the CSS feature seems to me dangerous
because it has been shown that it was “difficult” to implement on the
HTML side.

Then I was wondering if the CSS property would make it easier by not
having a table of all cases, and leaving the freedom to author to
specify the right characters.

Is it clearer? :)

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***