Re: Font Size options

Bert Bos wrote:
> On Thursday 14 April 2005 08:58, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>
>>Matthew Jaggard wrote:
>>
>>>I have been looking through the CSS2.1 and found that it will not
>>>do what I am currently wanting (unless I'm blind and/or stupid).
>>>What I want is to make the text in my document fill the screen (I'm
>>>using the projection media type at the moment) so if I just have 1
>>>letter, it would be huge and if I had a whole essay, it would be
>>>tiny, etc. It would be useful to be able to specify a maximum and
>>>minimum font size too and whether it fills the whole page or just
>>>does it by one line of text.
>
> It would only resize the text to fill a horizontal space (one line).
> There is currently no plan to fill a given vertical space. That is more
> difficult and less often used. Instead, you can put the text in an SVG
> file and scale that. That wouldn't reflow the text, but it is probably
> close enough.

Actually, I feel that vertical scaling -- even if it has to involve some
JavaScript -- is critical for making XHTML+CSS in presentation mode an
acceptable substitute for PowerPoint. (I say this from experience, having
just used Opera's presentation mode for my talk at the IUC27. I'm not sure
I want to try that again, it was very time-consuming.)

> But these are long-term plans. Don't expect either vh/vw or
> min/max-font-size to be fully specified, let alone implemented, within
> the next twelve months. (Of course, if somebody likes them, implements
> them experimentally in some browser and writes up precisely what they
> do, that may speed things up.)

I think text-align-last: size would be harder to specify and implement
than vh/vw. I really look forward to being able to use vh/vw. :)

~fantasai