aspect ratio of box

From: Simon Siemens <simon.siemens@web.de>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:22:12 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org

I'm currently exploring, how I can write XHTML documents with a layout
that adjusts itself to the client environment like font-size,
window-width, ... One key element seems to be that the size of images
should not be fix. This said, I'm using something like

img {
	width: 30%;
}

to specify a dynamic image size. The drawback on this is, that the user
agent can't format the whole page before it loads all embedded images,
because it doesn't know the image height anymore. This would be a very
interesting feature for pages with many images.

Therefore a ratio property would be helpful to encourage authors to
write dynamic layouts:

img {
	width: 30%;
	ratio: 1.3333;
}

The HTML specification explicitly encourages the use of the width and
height attribute to enable a stable layout while loading the whole page.
However in the latest XHTML2 specification I can't find these two
attributes anymore. Thus I assume it's a matter of the corresponding CSS
specification.

By the way, in January this year Zoe Blade gave another use case, for
which a ratio property would be needed
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2005Jan/0033.html).
Unfortunately it kept unanswered.

What do you think?