Re: [CSS2] Remarks and questions (Visual formatting model)

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Jens Meiert wrote:
>  [...]

Thanks those will be fixed in the next draft.

> 9.10 Text direction [...] [4]
>
> Wrong example (where I'm not sure if I missed something; maybe you can give
> some feedback to this issue) for the XML rendering (starting at 'The
> formatting of this text might look like this if the line length is long:'):
>
> Example (including corresponding line numbers)
>
>     1: 5WERBEH 4WERBEH english3 2WERBEH 1WERBEH
>     3: english9 english10 english11 13WERBEH 12WERBEH
>     5: english17 20WERBEH english19 18WERBEH
>
> Correction
>
>     1: 5WERBEH 4WERBEH 3hsilgne 2WERBEH 1WERBEH
>     3: english9 english10 english11 HEBREW12 HEBREW13
>     5: english17 02WERBEH 91hsilgne 81WERBEH
>
> Although this presentation might be problematic, I hope the corrections are
> easy to find (and really correct). Since this really is a topic where caution
> seems absolutely necessary, I'm not sure if I got something wrong (as I
> mentioned before) -- am I caught in a trap?

You are incorrect; the given rendering is correct. The bidi algorithm
includes rules for implied reordering which ensures that english letters,
even in an RTL context, are still rendered LTR. Same with numbers, and
vice versa with Hebrew letters.

HTH,