Re: Gradient color

From: Todd Fahrner <todd@lowbrow.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 01:49:17 -0400 (EDT)
To: Daniel.Glazman@der.edf.fr, lawranc5@airmail.net (Lawrance Family Member)
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Thus spake Daniel Glazman:

> Not for the moment in a single property as shown. But I agree with you
> it could be very useful...

It would be useful if you could conditionalize its application based on
whether the display is set for 24-bit or better color. Otherwise you're
asking for gross banding or legibility-killing dithering. This is analogous
to justified text: unless you know that a quality hyphenation algorithm is
implemented and active in the UA, asking for justification is asking for
ugly word- and letter-spacing.

I'm not against the idea: I'm for the supporting idea: support for a set of
rendering environmental variables. This seems like a prerequisite for many
more advanced style features such as multicol layout, where the ability to
query the viewport aspect, resolution, and typographical metrics in a
common unit system would be critical.

Todd Fahrner
mailto:todd@lowbrow.com
http://www.verso.com/agitprop/