Re: Class and ID

From: Todd Fahrner <todd@lowbrow.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 01:03:22 -0400 (EDT)
To: (wrong string) öldebrand )
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Thus spake Carl Johan Berglund:

> I don't see a case when you can use an id and can not use a class, though.

This seems to be the main point of confusion. Why not just come up with a
unique classname and use it only once?... The only answer I can come up
with is something like "because it would be dishonest to represent a unique
instance of something as belonging to a class of things." From an
effect-oriented CSS author's point of view, the distinction may be
irrelevant, but from a markup point of view, it's a question of integrity.
Class="author" could refer to Jules Verne or Willa Cather, but id="author"
is very likely the author of the current document. Unless of course the
document is a library catalog card, and we're talking about some HTML
bastardization of XML. <g>

Todd Fahrner
mailto:todd@lowbrow.com
http://www.verso.com/agitprop/