Re: Gradient color

From: Daniel Glazman <Daniel.Glazman@der.edfgdf.fr>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 09:10:19 +0100 (WET DST)
To: todd@lowbrow.com (Todd Fahrner)
Cc: Daniel.Glazman@der.edf.fr, lawranc5@airmail.net, www-style@w3.org
> Thus spake Daniel Glazman:
>
> > Not for the moment in a single property as shown. But I agree with you
> > it could be very useful...
>
> It would be useful if you could conditionalize its application based on
> whether the display is set for 24-bit or better color. Otherwise you're
> asking for gross banding or legibility-killing dithering. This is analogous
> to justified text: unless you know that a quality hyphenation algorithm is
> implemented and active in the UA, asking for justification is asking for
> ugly word- and letter-spacing.

Hello Todd,

I have to disagree with you. It can also be a browser boolean option
like the existing "dither images" saying "refuse gradient
backgrounds". When a web server contains a great image with a too wide
colormap the browser cannot handle, it is the same thing, and such
images exist in the web. In fact, the web is full of this kind of
images.

I understand that if the rendering engine knows the context, the
algorithm can be more (or less) efficient. But this is not IMO a good
reason why gradients should be left away. The problem you're
mentioning is related to the rendering medium, not to the styles.

</Daniel>