Re: An exciting inference?

* Jonathan Borden <jonathan@openhealth.org> [2003-03-17 15:31-0500]

> Roger L. Costello wrote:
> >
> > Okay, that's the scenario outline.  Can someone fill in the details?
> > Remember, it must be *simple* and it must lead to this inference:
> >
> >    The Robber and the Speeder are the same person.
> >

> This inference might be entailed from the use of an _inverse functional
> property_. Let's assume for the sake of discussion that there is some type
> of biometric property that can undoubtedly identify a person (that is for
> each value of "fingerprint" there is at most one individual to which this
> belongs)
>
> e.g.
>
> ex:Speeder foo:fingerprint urn:uuid:12345... .
> ex:Robber foo:fingerprint urn:uuid:12345... .
>
> foo:fingerprint a owl:InverseFunctionalProperty .
>
> =>
>
> ex:Speeder owl:sameIndividualAs ex:Robber .

Actually there is a property in FOAF that fits this usecase. Not
'fingerprint', but foaf:dnaChecksum. It was intended as a JOKE! but
also a warning of technology potential... (see also various concerns
many have with TIA, eg. http://www.warblogging.com/tia/).

See http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/ (view src) for
foaf:dnaChecksum definition. I didn't actually specify an algorithm or
even concrete syntax, needless hopefully to say...

<rdf:Property rdf:about="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/dnaChecksum"
	rdfs:label="DNA checksum"
	rdfs:comment="A checksum for the DNA of some thing. Joke.">
        <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.daml.org/2001/03/daml+oil#UnambiguousProperty"/>
        <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#InverseFunctionalProperty"/>
        <rdfs:isDefinedBy rdf:resource="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/"/>
      </rdf:Property>