Re: An exciting inference?

From: Jonathan Borden <jonathan@openhealth.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 16:02:10 -0500
To: "Dan Brickley" <danbri@w3.org>
Cc: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>, <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>

Dan Brickley wrote:

> * Jonathan Borden <jonathan@openhealth.org> [2003-03-17 15:31-0500]
..> >
> > ex:Speeder foo:fingerprint urn:uuid:12345... .
> > ex:Robber foo:fingerprint urn:uuid:12345... .
> >
> > foo:fingerprint a owl:InverseFunctionalProperty .
> >
> > =>
> >
> > ex:Speeder owl:sameIndividualAs ex:Robber .
>
> Actually there is a property in FOAF that fits this usecase. Not
> 'fingerprint', but foaf:dnaChecksum. It was intended as a JOKE! but
> also a warning of technology potential... (see also various concerns
> many have with TIA, eg. http://www.warblogging.com/tia/).
>
> See http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/ (view src) for
> foaf:dnaChecksum definition. I didn't actually specify an algorithm or
> even concrete syntax, needless hopefully to say...

Actually there is some interest and progress on using OWL for bioinformatics
i.e. representing a gene sequence as a typed RDF description (Jim Hendler
has done some work on this) but ... even that is frought with issues, for
example, truly *identical twins* are different individuals that might have
the same dnaChecksum...

nice try though :-)))

Jonathan