Anonymous nodes and quantification

At 03:34 PM 1/8/01 -0500, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
>I have just got hold of Sowa's spec for Conceptual Graph Interchange Format,
>and noted down the comparison bwteeen CGs and the semantic web at
>http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/CG
>for anyone who is interested, or anyone from the CG community who
>would like to verify that it makes any sense.

This led me to your 'N3' and 'Anonymous' notes, which had slipped out
without me noticing.

Considering your comments about expressing quantification.  I contemplate
an alternative approach, triggered by Pat Hayes' comments about
public/proper names.

In outline, I suggest a 'properName' property to bind a resource to some
label, in addition to 'genid' (a locally generated unique identifier,
right?) for the resource.  Two different resources that appear in the same
context with the same properName value are then presumed to be equivalent
in all respects (other than URI).  This approach was designed for binding
general descriptions into specific instances, but I think there are
parallels with quantification.

I think this has the advantage that it doesn't in any way modify the
semantics associated with RDF resource ids (no special case for
genids).  It does require an application to be able to track resource
equivalence (which I suspect will be needed anyway for applications of any
complexity).

#g
--

Pat Hayes' original comments at: