Namespaces and fragments

At 08:06 AM 2/12/01 -0500, Ralph R. Swick wrote:
>It seems to be a common misperception that RDF 1.0 _requires_
>a specific character in the right-most position of a namespace URI.
>This was not the intention of the RDF designers and a careful
>reading of  http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-rdf-syntax-19990222/
>will reveal that neither "#" nor "/" is required at the end.  Indeed,
>there was much discussion about whether RDF should choose a
>specific delimiter when concatenating the namespace name with
>the local name and it was decided to leave the full URI entirely
>within the scope of the namespace owner to define.

This is true, but I also note a related issue concerning the formation of
resource URIs from <Description ID=...>:  the requirement for '#' is not
explicitly stated, but it is implicitly required by the ID value being used
as a fragment identifier.

I acknowledge this is a different issue from that previously discussed, but
I think there is some overlap which adds to the general confusion;  viz. in
schema one may define things using ID= constructs, which are later
referenced using namespace constructions.

#g

Graham Klyne
GK@NineByNine.org