Re: does RDF require understanding all 82 URI schemes?

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@swartzfam.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 18:38:56 -0600
To: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
CC: RDF Interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
David Megginson <david@megginson.com> wrote:

> The RDF query software doesn't recognize the identifier
> "http://host.net/data/battles.rdf#JUTLAND-WW1", but it can resolve it,
> so it looks up battles.rdf and looks for a resource with
> rdf:ID="JUTLAND-WW1".

If the RDF processor does this, and overloads itself, then it's really
stupid.

The system will die when it hits the first DIE.com (an old site with
infinitely linked search engine bait -- did some tricks with random
strings).

There's no need to dereference the URI -- if you're really interested in it,
you can, but you don't need to.

Most likely, I think the things that will be dereferenced are arc labels /
properties, not nodes. These are much less likely to cause such problem,
since there are so many fewer.

For a system designed as you suggest, this is the least of its problems.