Re: does RDF require understanding all 82 URI schemes?

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@swartzfam.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 18:38:56 -0600
To: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
CC: RDF Interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
David Megginson <david@megginson.com> wrote:

> The RDF query software doesn't recognize the identifier
> "http://host.net/data/battles.rdf#JUTLAND-WW1", but it can resolve it,
> so it looks up battles.rdf and looks for a resource with
> rdf:ID="JUTLAND-WW1".

If the RDF processor does this, and overloads itself, then it's really

The system will die when it hits the first DIE.com (an old site with
infinitely linked search engine bait -- did some tricks with random

There's no need to dereference the URI -- if you're really interested in it,
you can, but you don't need to.

Most likely, I think the things that will be dereferenced are arc labels /
properties, not nodes. These are much less likely to cause such problem,
since there are so many fewer.

For a system designed as you suggest, this is the least of its problems.