Re: "If" and "else" in RDF

From: James Tauber <jtauber@jtauber.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 13:15:48 -0400
To: "Seth Russell" <seth@robustai.net>, <info@jan-winkler.de>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
What Jan was asking for didn't seem to me to need if/then (as my example
showed) if gender was modeled as a property from which you could then look
up additional properties.

It wouldn't work if gender was modeled as subclass of Person and you wanted
"address" to be a property of the Person instance. In this latter case,
you'd need inference to say:

    if (X, rdfs:class, Male) then (X, address, "Mr.")
    if (X, rdfs:class, Female) then (X, address, "Ms")

James

> Jan Winkler asks:
>
> >Why is there nothing like if and else [in RDF] ?
>
> I think James Tauber has shown a way to do this in RDF.  But I still have
> some questions about what representing a  "if then\else"  relation in a
RDF