Re: "If" and "else" in RDF

From: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 09:28:34 -0700
To: <info@jan-winkler.de>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Jan Winkler asks:

>Why is there nothing like if and else [in RDF] ?

I think James Tauber has shown a way to do this in RDF.  But I still have
some questions about what representing a  "if then\else"  relation in a RDF
model might mean:

Doesn't the "if <class> then <value>"  construct need to be relative to some
active process?

For example: if the RDF model knows {Seth isA Male} and {Male addressedBy
"Mr"} and {[; young Male] addressedBy "boy"}, what is the value of the
<value> ?

In other words:  me thinks we will need to put the OO programming model in
the RDF scheme of things before we will be able to do anything useful with a
"if\then" construct.    But I don't see any reason we shouldn't, I just
don't know anybody who has .... do you?

Seth