RE: "If" and "else" in RDF

From: Danny Ayers <danny@panlanka.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 23:31:16 +0600
To: "James Tauber" <jtauber@jtauber.com>, "Seth Russell" <seth@robustai.net>, <info@jan-winkler.de>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

<- What Jan was asking for didn't seem to me to need if/then (as my example
<- showed) if gender was modeled as a property from which you could
<- then look
<- up additional properties.

Not sure it was a good example, but I think everyone knew what was meant.

<- It wouldn't work if gender was modeled as subclass of Person and
<- you wanted
<- "address" to be a property of the Person instance. In this latter case,
<- you'd need inference to say:
<-
<-     if (X, rdfs:class, Male) then (X, address, "Mr.")
<-     if (X, rdfs:class, Female) then (X, address, "Ms")

Wait though - you've just said it, without using any inference. Ok, it might
not be in the RDF model as it stands, but those look like reasonable
statements to me.