Re: Chainsaw?

At 11:26 AM 10/23/00 +0200, Tom Van Eetvelde wrote:
>Bad idea! :-) I believe my proposal can model in a more natural way what
>you want to do.

Tom,

I accept that my original idea was not great, but I have one problem with
your proposal.  My concern applies to your proposal in the "definition of
domain" thread, and also to the counter-example you offer to mine:

><rdfs:Class ID="Ford_Escort">
><rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="Car"/>
><s:bodyStyle> Hatchback </s:bodyStyle>
><s:engine_fueltype> Petrol </s:engine_fueltype>
></rdfs:Class>

I accept the idea of using a class as a kind of prototype, but have a
problem with this particular representation.  Specifically, how statements
about the class be distinguished from statements about instances of the
class;  e.g.  I might wish to say something like:

    [FordEscord] --rdf:type---> [rdfs:Class]
    [          ] --definedBy--> [FordMotorCompany]
    [          ] --bodyStyle--> "HatchBack"
    (etc.)

Here, the intent of the properties "definedBy" and "bodyStyle" is very
different.  One is a statement about the class itself, and the other is a
prototype for instances of the class.

I'm still thinking about this stuff, so I'll pursue this further as I bet
my ideas sorted.

#g
--

Graham Klyne