a questioin on use of RDF

From: Sankar Virdhagriswaran <sv@crystaliz.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:21:08 -0400
To: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Folks,

This list has been extremely quiet, so I thought I would send some thing to
see if there are people out there who are listening and want to do some
thing with RDF.

I wanted to think about a simple application for RDF that spreads through a
volunteer effort that is similar to that which saw "robot.txt" become the
default standard for crawling. So, my objective is to figure out the
simplest RDF description that would have a chance of getting adopted widely.
I am also trying to see what kind of meta-data is really semantically
useful.

The problem I would like to address is the meta-data description about a
site (yes, I do mean site - not a page nor the structure of the web site --
we can go there later, but KISS is what I am going after). I want to have
individuals, companies, organizations, etc. describe some thing about
themselves in an RDF description. An individual can think of it as his/her
business card. A corporation or private organization can think of it as the
information they file to a governmental body when they get incorporated. A
Governmental institution can think of it in a similar fashion. Maybe a
semantic search engine will then index sites based on the information
provided in these "Calling cards".

So, if we can come up with a RDF description for such a beast and if folks
begin to adopt it (we are leveraging what people do already), then we would
have made a small step towards semantic web, but a large step for the Web.

What do folks think? Maybe some body else have thought about this idea.

Sankar